For girls with musical talent
MLC attracts talented music high school students from all over greater Melbourne, thanks to our state-of-the-arts Music Department and sought-after music teachers and specialists.
Across the College, music is an integral part of the core curriculum and co-curricular programs. Music scholars can complement their musical education with a wide range of Co-Curricular activities, including bands, orchestras, choirs and private tuition, along with opportunities for musical performance.
Awarded to students who demonstrate academic excellence and great potential in their chosen instrument. All scholarships are awarded on the basis of the results of external testing, internal audition for eligible candidates, previous school reports and an interview.
|Scholarship Name||Entry Year Level||Means Test||ACER Test|
|Music Scholarship||Years 7, 9, 10 and 11||No||Yes|
|Angela Sharman Music Scholarship||Years 7, 9, 10 and 11||Yes||Yes|
2024 Entry Scholarship Applications have now closed.
Duration for the above scholarships is for the entirety of the student's secondary schooling.
- Must be an Australian citizen, permanent Australian resident or temporary resident.
- Currently at MLC or attending another school.
- Students must be registered with ACER Scholarships as well as submit an MLC Scholarship Application.
- A talented musician: applicants must have passed the AMEB grade required (as appears below) or be at the equivalent standard for which a statutory declaration must be submitted.
AMEB Grade Criteria
Year 7 Applicants
At the time of application, students entering Year 7 should have passed the examination for Grade 6 AMEB standard or higher for piano or violin, and Grade 5 AMEB standard or higher for other instruments. Voice students should already be performing at an equivalent Grade 3 AMEB standard or higher.
Year 9 and 10 Applicants
At the time of application, students entering Year 9 and Year 10 should have already passed the examination for Grade 7 AMEB standard or higher for piano or violin, and Grade 6 AMEB standard or higher for other instruments. Voice students should already be performing at an equivalent Grade 5 AMEB standard or higher.
Year 11 Applicants
At the time of application, students entering Year 11 should have already passed the examination for Grade 8 AMEB standard or higher for piano or violin, and Grade 7 AMEB standard or higher for other instruments. Voice students should already be performing at an equivalent Grade 6 AMEB standard or higher.
- A percentage of the annual tuition fees and technology levy. This includes computer, technology support and peripherals.
- Full music tuition for the primary instrument by an MLC music instructor.
Documentation to be uploaded with the Scholarship Application
- Results of the most recent School Report.
- Evaluation of a 200-word statement on why the candidate is applying for this scholarship; this should be written by the student, demonstrating her accomplishments, talents, any leadership experience and her reasons for wanting to attend MLC.
- A passport-sized photo.
- A completed Music Scholarships Audition Form
Additionally, please include verification of candidate's performance standard requirements through:
- Copy of AMEB examination report and certificate (If AMEB not available proof of equivalent standard is required)
- Copy of AMEB examination results (or equivalent)
- Copy of Examiner's comments
- Copy of instructors AMEB Certificate of Certification
Candidates are required to perform two contrasting works. One work must be accompanied by piano, with the accompanist organised by the candidate.
Technical work, aural tests and sight reading may also be included at the discretion of the Director of Music.
- The student must be involved in at least 2 of the 3 ensembles listed below and the required rehearsals and performances associated with these ensembles:
- Concert Orchestra
- String Orchestra
- Symphonic Band
- Participate in all major musical performances and or events on the College calendar
- Scholarship holders are expected to complete their secondary education at MLC. Please refer to the MLC Scholarship Terms & Conditions.
Step 1 Apply for an MLC Scholarship
Step 2 Register for an ACER Test
Step 3 MLC Admissions
Step 4 Sit the ACER Test
Music Audition Attend a Music Audition
Step 5 Interview
Apply via our Scholarships form
Apply for an MLC Scholarship via our online form. Please note, 2024 Entry Scholarships are now closed. 2025 Entry Scholarships will open for applications in late 2023.
Register for the ACER Scholarships Test
Applicants must also register for the ACER Scholarships Test. The ACER test cost is $125 and can be registered via their website.
Hear from MLC Admissions
MLC Admissions will be in contact one week prior to the ACER Test regarding instructions for the test morning.
Sit the ACER Scholarship Test
This is held in February of the year prior to entry. This session is held at MLC and will last the full morning.
Attend a Music Audition
Attend the allocated Music Audition time with the Director of Music in February the year prior to entry.
Invitation to Interview
Short-listed candidates will be contacted by email in mid-February the year prior to entry, with an invitation to an interview. Unsuccessful candidates will also be advised mid-February the year prior, with ACER results released in late March by ACER. For The Angela Sharman Memorial Music Scholarship ONLY, this email will also include a link to commence the process of understanding financial eligibility for means-tested scholarships.