Congratulations to the students who participated in the following Science competitions: Science Talent Search, Australian National Chemistry Quiz, RACI Titration Stakes (Chemistry), and the Science Olympiads!
MLC has always enjoyed very high participation rates in Science subjects right up to Year 12, and all voluntarily participated in these competitions!
Highlights from the results include:
Australian National Chemistry Quiz
Years 11 & 12, with some Year 10s.
RACI National Titration Stake Finals
- 21 students received Credits (top 25-40% in Victoria)
- 19 students received Distinctions (top 10-25% in Victoria)
- 23 students received High Distinctions (top 10% in Victoria)
- 2 students received High Distinction - Excellence (highest possible scores in Victoria)
Chemistry competition for Year 11s and 12, although we also had some Year 10s attempt the tough competition! Students are in teams of three. These teams must finish in the top 40 of the State in order to compete nationally, of which MLC had two. Students are also able to win individual medals.
Science Talent Search
- 4 students received individual silver medals
- 2 students received individual gold medals
Open to participants in all year levels.
- 16 students won a Major Bursary
- 10 students won a Minor Bursary
- 12 students were awarded Distinctions
- Thanushi Peiris's (Year 12) research entry on Chemistry was entered into the BHP Billiton Science and Engineering Awards
- Major and Minor Bursary Award winners will be attending a Presentation and Exhibition Day at La Trobe University on Monday, 23 October.
Well done to all who took the time to participate, compete and submit pieces to the competitions!