MLC's Exceptional 2016 VCE Results: 3 students achieve top 99.95 ATAR
Methodist Ladies’ College (MLC) has once again, achieved outstanding VCE and VCE VET results, continuing the College’s long tradition of strong academic excellence. Of 11 female students in Victoria who have achieved a top rank of 99.95, we are delighted that 3 are MLC students. One of these students, Michelle Chen, achieved 3 perfect study scores of 50.
Pictured L-R: Ms Diana Vernon, Michelle Xin, Michelle Chen, Rosie Stock, Mrs Anne Wallington.
Congratulations are extended to Michelle, and her fellow Duxes Joyce Ling and Michelle Xin, and to all students on their outstanding achievements. With a perfect ATAR of 99.95, Michelle Xin hopes to study medicine at Monash University as a way to give back to the community. “Through leadership roles at MLC, I was lucky to have a vehicle to involve myself in charity. The core of studying medicine is to help people, and that drives me and really hits home.”
With an ATAR of 99.85, MLC’s Dux Secondus Rosie Stock says, “My result was delightfully unexpected. I now have the opportunity to re-evaluate my options, as at MLC I was fortunate enough to be presented with plenty of choices.”
91 students were in the top 10% of the state with an ATAR of 90 or above. 60% achieved a score of over 80, placing them in the top 20% of the state.
Perfect study scores were achieved across the humanities, science and vocational subjects, reaffirming MLC’s academic depth and breadth. As an open-entry school, MLC offers one of the broadest Year 12 subject choices in Australia with 49 subjects available which makes these outstanding results all the more impressive.
MLC offers students the choice to study VCE, VCE VET or the IB Diploma. The choice in pathways offers students the flexibility to structure a program that suits their individual needs as well as provide access to a wide range of university courses both in Australia and abroad / entrepreneurial pathways directly from school.
"Congratulations to each and every one of our VCE and VCE VET students on achieving these excellent results," says MLC Principal, Diana Vernon. "I have been delighted to share in the students' joy of these achievements after their focus and hard work throughout the year. I also thank our wonderful teachers and support staff for their tireless dedication to supporting our students achieve their best.
I am extremely proud that our Year 12s have demonstrated a commitment to a wide range of co-curricular pursuits, such as sport, music, drama, debating and community service, whilst also undertaking leadership responsibilities, alongside achieving these excellent academic results. I am confident that our students are ready to enter the next phase of their lives as world-ready women and we look forward to following the next steps of their journey.
It is wonderful to see outstanding results across the wide range of subjects for which MLC is well known. This reinforces our belief that students will excel in their chosen fields if we inspire their curiosity and encourage their passions. We look forward to Wednesday, 4 January 2017 when the remaining 47 Year 12 MLC students will receive their International Baccalaureate (IB) results.”
MLC's Academic Achievement Trends:
- MLC is ranked third in the state for number of perfect study scores. 17 perfect study scores were achieved across 10 subjects covering a wide range of areas including Physics, Music Performance and Studio Arts. 6 perfect study scores were achieved in English, which is outstanding.
- MLC has been amongst the top ten schools with high achieving VCE students over the last 5 years, with the highest possible ATAR of 99.95 achieved in 4 of the last 5 years
- Our median study score in 2016 is a fantastic 34, consistent with high results from the last 7 years
- We have consistently achieved perfect IB scores of 45 for the last 9 years, recognised as some of the strongest results in Australia
- As an open-entry, non-selective school, we celebrate the diversity and success of our student community while acknowledging the hard work and notable achievements of those students whose results place them amongst the highest achievers in VCE and IB results
- We proudly recognise the significant international, national and local success of our students in a large range of co-curricular endeavours
- Our 2016 results so far do not reflect the student cohort who completed IB.