Senior School students at Methodist Ladies' College can create a course that matches their interests, needs and career goals, by mixing and matching different subjects and learning strategies from within one of two distinct pathways – VCE (including VCE VET subjects) and IB. A broad choice of over 60 subjects offered across the pathways gives our students an unrivalled abundance of opportunity and flexibility, and all subjects are conveniently offered on our Kew campus.
Students receive extensive support when making their pathway learning decisions, with information sessions and knowledgeable support from teaching coordinators and career counsellors.
VCE: Victorian Certificate of Education
Our diverse VCE program is tailored to meet the needs and interests of each student with a wide range of subject choices available.
MLC's VCE program enables students to:
- Undertake just VCE subjects
- Study VCE subjects in combination with VCE VET subjects
- Undertake Enhancement Studies through Monash University or the University of Melbourne and begin a university degree while in Year 12
- Include a single IB subject in their Year 11 VCE program
- Study VCE with a language through the Victorian School of Languages Distance Education.
VET: Vocational Education and Training
VCE VET subjects focus on infusing vocational practices into the curriculum, including real-life learning experiences (such as the Structured Workplace Learning program). Students can build a unique learning portfolio by adding VCE VET subjects to their VCE program, developing skills at an industry-standard level and enhancing their opportunities for part-time and full-time employment.
Students who complete a VCE VET program graduate with both a VCE study score and a VET qualification that has national recognition. VCE VET studies have the same status as VCE subjects and are fully integrated into the timetable.
MLC offers five VET programs:
- Certificate II in Business
- Certificate III in Sport and Recreation
- Certificate II in Hospitality
- Certificate II in Kitchen Operations
- Certificate III in Music Industry
Students who study a combined VCE VET program:
- Develop skills at an industry-standard level
- Participate in industry work placements and gain first-hand knowledge under the guidance of an industry mentor
- Enhance their opportunities for part-time and full-time employment
- Have the opportunity to pursue multiple learning pathways including university degrees, TAFE diplomas and certificate courses.
IB: International Baccalaureate
The IB program is designed to prepare students to be active participants in their global community. It is particularly suited to students wanting to pursue tertiary studies and qualifications, and is recognised by Australian tertiary institutions and major universities worldwide.
The IB is unique, with a challenging curriculum that fosters high academic standards and international understanding. The program covers six academic areas including a first and second language as well as humanities, sciences and maths.
There are three special features of the IB curriculum that promote inter-disciplinary study and thought:
- Theory of Knowledge (TOK), which challenges students to question and analyse and to develop rational arguments for their own viewpoints
- Creativity, Action, Service (CAS), which provides a refreshing change to academic studies by encouraging participation in the arts, sport and community service
- Extended essay, where students undertake research and investigation on a topic of special interest that is related to their academic studies