It is important that students develop strategies and approaches that allow them to become better at managing their own learning, by looking at mistakes made in positive ways and developing a growth mindset when it comes to approaching problems that may appear challenging at first.
All students are encouraged to undertake the most appropriate course, and MLC offers classes for those students who find the abstract nature of the subject challenging as well as pathways that cater for more able Mathematicians who want to extend themselves. All students are supported by the opportunity to attend regular Maths Help sessions, which are designed to assist them in their learning.
In Year 7, Mathematics classes are designed to cater for all abilities, acknowledging the diversity of learners. In Year 8, Advanced and Support Maths are offered as well. In Years 9 and 10, students can choose from a range of courses on offer in order to cater for all students' abilities and interest levels.
In Years 11 and 12 MLC offers Mathematics subjects for both VCE and IB.
- Foundation Mathematics Units 1 and 2
- General Mathematics Units 1 and 2
- Mathematical Methods Units 1 – 4
- Specialist Mathematics Units 1 – 4
- Further Mathematics Units 3 and 4
Please note: this list is to be used as a guide and subject offerings may vary per year. Please confirm with Admissions for specific subjects.
- Applications and Interpretation SL
- Applications and Interpretation HL
- Analysis and Approaches SL
- Analysis and Approaches HL