Awarded to students demonstrating excellent musicianship and achievement, alongside strong academic talent, exhibiting the MLC values of respect responsibility and compassion. Students are individually evaluated to also consider their accomplishments, talents, passions and enthusiasm for learning is also evaluated.
MLC is committed to providing a wide range of opportunities across all areas of the curriculum. As part of this commitment, the College offers a wide range of Academic and Music Scholarships for students with special abilities. All scholarships are awarded on the basis of the results of external testing, internal audition for eligible candidates, previous school reports and an interview.
Year 7 Applicants:
- At the time of application, students entering Year 7 in 2021 should have passed the examination for Grade 6 AMEB standard or higher for piano or violin, and Grade 5 AMEB standard or higher for other instruments. Voice students should already be performing at an equivalent Grade 3 AMEB standard or higher.
Years 9 and 10 Applicants:
- At the time of application, students entering Years 9 and 10 in 2021 should have already passed the examination for Grade 7 AMEB standard or higher for piano or violin, and Grade 6 AMEB standard or higher for other instruments. Voice students should already be performing at an equivalent Grade 5 AMEB standard or higher.
Year 11 Applicants:
- At the time of application, students entering Year 11 in 2021 should have already passed the examination for Grade 8 AMEB standard or higher for piano or violin, and Grade 7 AMEB standard or higher for other instruments. Voice students should already be performing at an equivalent Grade 6 AMEB standard or higher.
Applications are encouraged from Brass, Oboe, Bassoon, Viola and Double Bass players.
||MONDAY, 14 OCTOBER 2019
||5PM WEDNESDAY, 19 FEBRUARY 2020
|SCHOLARSHIP TEST DATE:
||SATURDAY, 29 FEBUARY 2020
||THURSDAY 27 – FRIDAY 28 FEBRUARY 2020
Year of Entry:
Year 7 (Scholarship tenable for 6 years)
Year 9 (Scholarship tenable for 4 years)
Year 10 (Scholarship tenable for 3 years)
Year 11 (Scholarship tenable for 2 years)
- Australian citizens, permanent Australian residents or temporary residents
- Currently at MLC or attending another school
- A talented musician; applicants must have passed the AMEB grade required, or be at the equivalent standard for which a statutory declaration must be submitted:
Documentation to be uploaded with Scholarship Application:
- Results of the most recent School Report
- Evaluation of a 200-word statement on why the candidate is applying for this scholarship; This should be written by the student and demonstrate their accomplishments, talents, leadership, reason for wanting to attend MLC.
- Copy of AMEB examination report and certificate (If AMEB not available proof of equivalent standard is required)
- A passport sized photo
The applicant will then have:
- Results of the ACER Scholarship Test
- Evaluation of Audition
- Evaluation through Interview. Candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted by telephone and/or email
- Candidates are required to perform two contrasting works. One work must be accompanied by piano, with the accompanist organised by the candidate.
- Technical work, aural tests and sight reading may also be included at the discretion of the Director of Music
- A percentage of the annual tuition fees and technology levy, this includes computer, technology support and peripherals
- Full music tuition for the primary instrument by an MLC music instructor.
Verification of candidate's performance standards required:
- Copy of AMEB examination results (or equivalent)
- Examiner's comments
- Certificate of certification